The township of Brandon, owing to its proximity to Sioux Falls, was one of the earliest settled townships in the county. The soil is good, and streams of water at the time of the government survey in 1864, were flowing over twenty-seven sections of land. The principal stream, the Big Sioux river, enters the township in the northwest portion of section 31, flowing thence northeasterly about three-fourths of a mile to the center of section 30, thence southeasterly through section 29, to the center of the south line of section 28, thence in a southwesterly course through section 33, leaving the township a little west of the center line of the section. Three branches of Split Rock unite on the southwest quarter of section 10, and the stream from this point flows in a tortuous course through sections 15, 23, 26 and 35, leaving the township about three-fourths of a mile southeast from the village of Brandon, near the southeast corner of section 34. The town line on the west was surveyed by W.J. Neeley in July, 1859, and the south line by Cortez Fessenden in July, 1862, and the north and east lines by M.K. Armstrong in October, 1864, at which time the town was sub-divided by the same surveyor. It contains 23,007.60 acres of land. It has one small village named after the township, located on the southwest quarter of section 34, which was platted by the Worthington & Sioux Falls R.R. Co. The plat was filed on the 18th day of September, 1878, and comprised eight blocks divided into one hundred and thirty lots. Brandon village is located on the Omaha railroad line and is 8.6 miles from Sioux Falls. There is a post office at this place, which was established in 1878, and N.J. Ronlund was the first postmaster. Since his resignation W.J. Jones, D.A. Wright, John T. Lee and Martin Brusveen have held this office, Mr. Brusveen being the present incumbent. There is one elevator, two stores and a blacksmith shop in the village, also a Norwegian Lutheran church, which was built in 1883, and a school house built in 1885. The first school was taught in the fall of 1873 by Celia Fauske, now Mrs. John Holden, in a sod house built for school purposes, which was located on the northeast corner of the southeast quarter of section 27. There was only a dirt floor in this primitive school house during the first year it was occupied. The whole structure cost nine dollars, and was paid for by subscription.
On the southeast corner of section 22 there is a station on the Willmar & Sioux Falls railroad, now operated by the Great Northern R.R. Co., called Corson, named for Henry Corson, one of the first directors of this road. It is eleven miles northeast of Sioux Falls. May 12, 1888, E.A. Sherman filed a plat of Corson comprising ten block divided into eighty-five lots. At the present time there is a post office, store and elevator at this place, and Ole E. Fauske is the postmaster and proprietor of the store.
Nels Nelson Graff built the first house in the township in the fall of 1873. It was built of logs with a shingle roof, and was located on the northwest quarter of section 35, where it is still standing and is a part of the building shown in the illustration of N.N. Graff’s residence. [page 809] Mr. Graff settled in Brandon in May, 1870, and at that time only a few furrows of land had been plowed. George Christianson constructed a dugout in 1869, and lived in it for awhile. It was on the southeast quarter of section 33. In the early seventies he moved into Split Rock and took a homestead, where he resided until his death a few years ago. Mr. Graff lived in a dugout about three years before building his log house.