Hartford

CELEBRATE

THE

COUNTY

The boundary lines of this township were surveyed by Wm. J. Neeley in August, 1859, and the subdivisions were made by H.T. Austin in June, 1867, and according to the government survey contains 22,957.32 acres of land.  It is well watered by the Skunk creek and its tributaries.  Except during a series of dry seasons there are two ponds of water about two miles from the village of Hartford, one in a northwesterly and the other in a southwesterly direction.  Samuel Huckins, J. Westley Warner, and F.E. Van DeMark were among the earliest settlers, but in 1878, quite a large number of people took up land in this township, and it was rapidly settled.  In 1879 the Worthington & Sioux Falls railroad was built west from Sioux Falls to Salem, and a station was established at Hartford on the southwest quarter of section 22.  This company filed a plat of eight blocks at this point June 29, 1881, and since then several additions have been made.  The settlement about the station soon took the form of a village, and it became quite a business center.  A post office was established, and A.F. Oaks was postmaster the first four years, when he was succeeded by John Mundt.  Stores, hotels, grain warehouses, and all kinds of business usually engaged in villages of this kind rapidly appeared.  John Mundt, in 1892, built an elevator with a capacity of 35,000 bushels.  The same year the Hartford Separator and Creamery company was incorporated and about $7,500 of capital stock taken, a creamery built, and business commenced in the fall of 1892.  In 1893 this company paid its patrons for milk $8,585,47, and received for butter sold $11,398.34, averaging about 22 cents per pound.  This creamery is still doing business.  The first school house which is now located on the northeast quarter of section 24.  In June, 1892, E.C. Kibbe commenced the publication of a weekly newspaper called the Plain Talker.  In 1898, George W. Bagley published the South Dakota Weekly Vindicator for a short time at this place.  In 1899 a large, commodious school house was erected which does great credit to the people of Hartford.

Hartford

200 West Sith Street  Sioux Falls SD 57104             (605) 951-9200             info@minnehahahistory.org

  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • Twitter - Grey Circle
  • Instagram - Grey Circle

© 2016  by Minnehaha County Historical Society