The boundary lines of this township were surveyed by Wm. J. Neeley in August, 1859, and the subdivisions by H.T. Austin in June, 1867. It contains 22,643.97 acres of land according to the government survey. The map made by the first surveyor, shows not less than twenty-three ponds of water and two lakes; Beaver Lake on section 14,15 and 22 covered 307 acres, and Grass Lake on section 34 and 35 covered about 60 acres according to this survey. During high water, suckers, black bass and pickerel have reached Grass Lake by way of a small stream having its source in this lake, and which runs through Hartford township in a northeasterly direction and empties into Skunk creek on the southeast quarter of section 19 in Benton township.
Among the first settlers in Humboldt was Nicholas Beck, who came there in 1877, and during the year following, Michael Flynn, Henry Mundt and several others located there. The first school house was built in the fall of 1879 on the northeast quarter of section 11, and the following winter the first school in the township was taught in this school house by Adelbert Oaks.
The Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railroad was built through this township in 1879, but there was no station established until several years later, and then it was a mere stopping place. Beebe & Co. put up a grain warehouse in 1890, Hubbard & Palmer in 1891, and the Farmers Warehouse company’s grain and warehouse was erected in 1893. In 1897, the railroad company built a commodious depot; and the John W. Tuthill Lumber Co. established a lumber yard, and commenced doing business July 5, that year. A hotel and store were built the same year, and in the fall of 1898, John Mundt of Hartford erected a grain elevator with a capacity of 25,000 bushels. In April, 1890, a post office was established, and since April 4, 1898, it has been a money order office. There are some fine farms in the township, and the little village of Humboldt will undoubtedly thrive and grow rapidly in population, and as a business center.